Review: Getting Over Garrett Delaney by Abby McDonald

Title: Getting Over Garrett Delaney
Author: Abby McDonald
Rating: ★★★
 (4/5 Stars)
Hardcover, 336 Pages
Published January 2012


Okay, let me just start off with pointing out that I just finished this book, and now I'm all smiley and stuff. I can't help it. It's just so cute! Here's what the book's about:

"Seventeen-year-old Sadie is in love: epic, heartfelt, and utterly one-sided. The object of her obsession — ahem, affection — is her best friend, Garrett Delaney, who has been oblivious to Sadie’s feelings ever since he sauntered into her life and wowed her with his passion for Proust (not to mention his deep-blue eyes). For two long, painful years, Sadie has been Garrett’s constant companion, sharing his taste in everything from tragic Russian literature to art films to '80s indie rock — all to no avail. But when Garrett leaves for a summer literary retreat, Sadie is sure that the absence will make his heart grow fonder — until he calls to say he’s fallen in love. With some other girl! A heartbroken Sadie realizes that she’s finally had enough. It’s time for a total Garrett detox! Aided by a barista job, an eclectic crew of new friends (including the hunky chef, Josh), and a customized self-help guide, Sadie embarks on a summer of personal reinvention full of laughter, mortifying meltdowns, and a double shot of love."

This book made me feel so many things. Mainly frustrated. (And no, don't go thinking I disliked this book--because that totally is NOT the case!) I felt so bad for Sadie--from how McDonald described Garrett, he seemed like an adorable, intelligent, perfect guy. And the way she loved him so much--well, if I were in her shoes, I'd probably be in the same situation.

However, even though I started off loving Garrett in the beginning of the book, seeing him always coming to Sadie about dating advice made me feel a little bit off about him--even though Sadie isn't real (*gasp!* I know it hurts, but you've gotta admit it), it seems like a slap across the face to ask for girlfriend advice from a girl who is very much in love with you.

If Garrett is so smart, why didn't he realize Sadie's feelings in the very beginning? 

Anyway, enough about negative stuff. Once Sadie realized that she centered her life around Garrett, she did her absolute best to do a total Garrett detox (with the help of some new friends).

Let me just say that I was so engrossed in reading this book that I wasn't paying attention at my brother's baseball game (because, of course, I was reading) and a foul ball flew from the heavens and hit me right in the nose. (Minor bruises and soreness, no breaks, so it's all good!) I was so into reading about Sadie's story of getting over Garrett that I tuned out everyone screaming "LOOK OUT! LOOK OUT!! LOOK OUT!!!"

Eh. Reading Getting Over Garrett Delaney was worth it.

Even though (*SPOILER ALERT*) Sadie ended up going on a date with Josh in the end, I still have a few unanswered questions that I just wish that McDonald could've finished off for us:

1. What happens with Kayla and Blake? 

2. What happens with Sadie and Josh? Sure, they went on a date to the beach--but wasn't Josh planning on quitting work to go do some big cooking thing with an important chef? What happens with that?

3. Most important of all--what happens with Sadie and Garrett?! Sure, she broke it off and left him hanging...but are they still best friends? If not, are they even friends? Is he mad at her? Embarrassed? Did he understand?

So. Many. Questions!!!

So, my final commentary? I really, really liked this book. :) Even though Garrett ended up being not so perfect, a little part of me still thinks he is (but hey, that's just me and he sounds gorgeous and just...alright, I'll stop talking now).

No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️