ARC Review: Gamma Rift by Kalli Lanford

Title: Gamma Rift (The Trans-Galactic Insurrection Series)
Author: Kalli Lanford 
Genre: New Adult, Science Fiction 
Source: NetGalley 
Publisher: Entangled Embrace
Publication Date: August 18th 2015
Add it to Goodreads / Pre-Order it on Amazon

Summary: 
I may be a Prince, but there are things that trouble me about my father's royal rule—the forced abduction, experimentation, and torture of alien creatures. The king has a new prisoner who's a carefully kept secret... There's a young female who belongs to a little-known civilization I have been studying extensively. They are human, belonging to a small, undeveloped planet called Earth. She is pretty in a way I find unusual and compelling. Sometimes I sneak into the adjoining cell and we talk about everything and nothing, even as I find myself yearning to touch her strange, soft skin. Skin that is being subjected to invasive tests and experiments. A body that's scheduled for a live dissection in fifteen days. And a life that will be terminated unless I risk my future and life to help her escape...

Review:  


I originally stick to New Adult contemporaries, only because I never came across anything but those. I jumped at the chance for Gamma Rift. I love science fiction and I love alien books. I though this was right up my alley. The only way I can explain how I feel about Gamma Rift is this: You have an ice cream sundae, but no matter how much of it you eat you NEVER feel content and full. Gamma Rift was okay, but I wouldn't read it again. 

What I liked:

  • The idea behind Gamma Rift was awesome. Aliens kidnapping other aliens to and experimenting on them. Sounds freaking awesome. Gamma Rift had the opportunity to be awesome too. 
  • The world building. It took a while before I had a solid image of what Garran and his kind looked like, but eventually I got it. America's cell inside the laboratory sounded really cool too. I loved how it was described.

What I didn't like: 

  • I can't put my finger on it, so please don't make me but there was something that I didn't like about the romance, I found is rushed and just strange. I think the alien/human romance just weirded me out. 
  • The sex scenes, I give it to Kalli. They were unique. But back to the alien/human thing. It just didn't sit well. 

I would give Kalli's future writing a try. I like her writing style, and ideas. Gamma Rift just wasn't for me. I know this review is very vague. It is just one of those books that nothing stuck out to me. It was very bleh. 


Rating: 



No comments

Please note that if your comment doesn’t appear right away, it’s because we have to approve it. Make sure to click the Notify Me box so you can check back once your comment has been approved! ❤️